Friday, December 17, 2004

The St P Handicap (2 furlongs, going hard)

I suppose that the posters at St P have been up for long enough, but I just didn't take it in (suspect others did the same).

Arrived at St P last night only to discover that as part of crowd control tests, they have closed off the normal access to the stairs and escalators. Instead we are expected to follow what looks like the longest possible route to get there. I was keen to catch a particular train to ensure that I didn't miss the start of my sons' school concert, so in common with a number of other passengers broke into a run, but struggled to get past the slower and those dragging suitcases on wheels, the equivalent of a rolling road block.

Reaching the escalators with relief, I ran up, only to be faced with a similar arrangement and less than a minute to catch my train, which I caught with only seconds to spare, boarding just as the doors closed.

I assume that the tests were done for our safety, and therefore under realistic rush hour conditions, but from my perspective they couldn't have picked a worse day.