Wednesday, November 24, 2004

The animals went in one by one

Relatively uneventful journey this morning, only a few minutes late, and still room for a few more standing in the carriage.

All that changed on arrival at the entrance to the Kings Cross tube station. The entrance from Pancras Road was closed only once while I was waiting, compared with the normal twice, and having got passed that gate, it became very apparent that the next one, at the top of the steps was closed too. In fact, they were letting people from St P into the tube station one at a time, and if anyone tried to exit through the gap, none at a time!

I have long suspected that rail passengers arriving at KX got preferential access to the tube station over and above Thameslink and Midland Mainline, and the crowds of people arriving in the tube station from the direction of KX in comparison with the dribble from St P seemed to bear that out.

So having, in effect, closed West Hampstead and Kentish Town tubes to Thameslink passengers, this feels like the beginning of the closure of KX tube to Thameslink passengers.

Where will we be sent next?

1 comment:

Clive said...

I think you have to adopt a different attitude Stephen.
I think of each day on Thameslink not as a boring old commute but an adventure. I pack up my emergency rations, A to Z of London, swiss army knife etc and head off to the station each day eagerly anticipating the excitement of starting a journey without knowing where I will end up by the end. This week alone I have discovered the delights of somewhere called Kentish Town (nice to visit, wouldn't want to live there) and my old friend West Hampstead.

And, on the occasions when I have actually reached the fabled terminus of St Pancras, I have then had to make a challenging decision on how to pursue the next part of my journey. Today, for example, I decided to try a new escape route from the LRT and Camden stormtroopers, by sneaking through the momentarily unguarded fence around Kings Cross Mainline station and into the station then out again to the Underground. In doing so, I discovered the wonderous location of Platform 9 3/4 (identifiable by the gaggle of Japanese tourists posing in front of it) as well as managing to reach the Victoria Line without being shouted at even once by a Megaphone Man.

On other days I have enjoyed a bus-top tour of parts of London I didn't know even existed courtesy of the No 63 bus and have even travelled from the long-lost station known as "Kings Cross Thameslink" where all trains on whatever platform mysteriously only go South. And I must also mention the pleasant diesel fuelled environment along the Euston Road which I had to walk most of the days last week to Euston Station as Kings Cross Underground was closed....

You don't know what you are missing!